Gift Of Life Organ and Tissue Donation
In 2011 NCJWC Toronto partnered with Trillium Gift of Life Network program and was thereafter approved by National, to take it on as one of their initiatives.
Trillium Gift of Life Network (a not-for-profit agency of the Government of Ontario), plans, promotes, coordinates and supports organ and tissue donation and transplantation across Ontario. Other communities with their provincial Tissue and Transplant agencies are responsible for organ and tissue donation.
Through education NCJWC dispels the myths that Jews cannot donate organs and reiterates that saving a life is the greatest “Mitzvah” a Jew can perform.
Some interesting facts:
- One person can save up to 8 lives and enhance as many as 75 more.
- Every three days someone dies in Ontario because the life-saving organ they need is not available.
- There are no prohibitions as to which organ one can donate.
- More than 50% of Ontarians believe in transplantation yet less than 30% have registered their consent to be a donor.
- There are 1,500 people in Ontario waiting for organ transplants and thousands more waiting for tissue transplants.
- Educational programs and seminars are held throughout Canada.
Donate and make a difference.
Registering to be a donor might be the greatest gift you ever give. If you hope a life-saving transplant will be available for your loved ones and friends, wouldn’t you hope there would be an organ for you too?
Register consent for organ and tissue donations – it can be done online in just two minutes by visiting www.beadonor.ca